List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: File locations (was Re: directory for additional services?)
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-05-21 18:48:04

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:
>
> > So we are supposed to just disregard the FHS just because you
> > think that KDE is too big to be put under the "correct" locations?!?
>
> The same applies to X11 and tex. These packages do actually the same like
> we do.

I'm sorry, but that is not a good answer. That breaks one of the
fundamental rules of argument when applying logic. (I can't remember
the name of the rule though, been a while since I took logic.)
To use a blantently offensive example, that would be like saying,
"Well, Microsoft doesn't follow standards, why should I?". Open
standards are a good thing, even if they are not always the
"best" solution to a problem, it is often better to follow a
standard that is widely accepted than to go with your
"better" solution. So the argument that "X and Y are doing, why
can't we?" still doesn't convince me.

// Sean