List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: directory for additional services?
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-05-21 18:40:02

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>
> > Personally, I like our $KDEDIR setup the best.  KDE is just too big to think
> > that it can easily fit at the same level as "normal" packages.
>
> Yeah and the FHS makes it very difficult to have multiple versions at
> once.
>
> Currently it is simply a change of a singe environment variable. This
> helps developers a lot.

Why would it be more difficult? All you have to do is change the
semantics of the $KDEDIR to assume that it is the prefix of the path
(such as /usr/local or /usr or /opt etc).

Assume that a developer wants to install different versions in
the following locations:

/devel/kde1
/devel/kde2

Then you get the usual structure under each of these:
/devel/kde1
        +--- bin
        +--- etc
        +--- include
        +--- share

/devel/kde2
        +--- bin
        +--- etc
        +--- include
        +--- share

I don't see this as logically any different than things work today. It
would just be a matter of looking for files in slightly different
locations, but they would still be relative to $KDEDIR. On an end-user
machine /devel/kdex would simply be /usr in the case when a software is
part of the vendors distribution and possibly in other locations
(/usr/local, /opt) when being installed as an extra package.
Again, I haven't read the FHS, so I could be way off on this, but
from what I have heard about it, I don't see why it should be a problem,
even for developers.

// Sean