List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: directory for additional services?
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-05-21 15:13:13

David Faure wrote:

> > > Okok ;-)
> > >
> > > So $prefix/share/services is ok with everyone?
> > > (replacing the obsolete kde_partsdir )
> > >
> > Hmm, don't know how your "okok" and the rest mix together :)
>
> I don't understand you, Stephan.
> We have nothing in $prefix/share/kde at the moment !
> Everything is in $prefix/share, right ?
> So what's the problem with $prefix/share/services ?

No, everything is in $KDEDIR/share.  We have it like the following, now:

/x/kde/share
/x/kde/bin
/x/kde/lib

and so on (where 'x' is /opt or /usr or /usr/local or whatever)

The FHS says to do things like

/x/share/kde
/x/share/gnome
/x/share/vim
/x/lib/kde (I think)
/x/lib/gnome (I think)
/x/bin

Personally, I like our $KDEDIR setup the best.  KDE is just too big to think
that it can easily fit at the same level as "normal" packages.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth