List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High Five Roberto
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 9:48:44

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Holger Thon wrote:
> > > "Corel will also build its desktop Linux offering around the Debian
> > > GNU/Linux distribution."
> >
> > Yes, "around". They use Debian as foundation and add KDE and their
>
> Hm, any word seems to have a meaning in this sentence... :-)))))
> I just wondered why they don't want to include kde but corel's linux
> desktop. And the article itself suggests this.

Oh well :-) The word 'desktop' is used in different meanings here.
In the context 'desktop Linux offering' it implies that Corel's
distribution is mainly aiming at 'desktop users', i. e. users of
office applications, whereas other distributions like Red Hat or
Caldera have an emphasis on the server market.

> Well, besides: What debian plans to do sounds really interesting. Why
> isn't this posted to the Debian weekly news as well? I also think
> dselect has to be revised or exchanged, though it's still better than
> e.g. DLD's java based installer (aka: give me more ressources than you
> have installer... ;-).

Have you tried gnome-apt? I've not yet used it, but it is said to
be quite nice.

Bernd.