List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knowing when a screensaver is active
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 2:28:09

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Út, 18 kvì 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote :
> >Is there a way to reliably tell when a screensaver is active?  KBiff has an
> >option where it will pop up a dialog when new mail arrives.  Unfortunately,
> >if a screensaver is active, it will pop up the dialog on TOP of the
> >screensaver.  This is not good.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how I can tell when the screensaver is
> >active in order to prevent this.  Is there such a mechanism?
>
> Licq uses XScreenSaver<something> function for auto-away, so this could
> probably help you ( http://licq.wibble.net ).

Okay.. I check out Licq and could find no mention of that function.  What
version were you referring to?

In any event, a bunch o' research turned up a few leads.  To access
screensaver-type information, you need to use either the MIT-SCREENSAVER or
XIdle extensions.  I don't think the MIT-.. one will do what I want and XIdle
is far from standard (I don't have it on either my Linux or Solaris box).

Bummer...
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth