List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gnome story has hit slashdot...
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 2:20:11

Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Isn't it strange? Developers of both teams try to work more closely together
> on a technical level and their self-appointed leader tries as hard as he can
> to make that politically impossible for the KDE team without losing face.
>
> I'm still in favour of working with them to some degree, mainly for the
> benefit of linux users in general.  However, if Miguel continues with his
> flames and the gnome developers don't oppose to his behaviour, we have to
> assume that he actually represents their attitude or at least the attitude
> of their majority.

Not necessarily.  Miquel is a very dedicated and eloquent spokesperson for
Gnome.  I can see how developer's might cringe at some things he says.. but
let's face it, he *does* get them a lot of press and he's good in a
conference.

I'm guessing that many developers probably just view him as a necessary evil.

> When we are forced to draw this conclusion, I'm done with cooperation. It's
> always a nice feeling to be ethically on the right side but that doesn't imply
> that we have to behave like martyrs.

Don't think in the macro sense.. think micro.  If the developer's that YOU
work with are cooperative, then keep working with *them*.  Don't condemn an
entire project because of a few jerks.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth