List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-Developer's mini-HOWTO
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-18 10:10:32

David Sweet wrote:

> Things have gotten a little more complicated for developers recently.  I
> thought maybe a mini-HOWTO would help.  I'm open to \
> suggestions/contributions.
> Included are some CVS and compilation FAQs as well as some general \
> information for new developers.

Great. I have started such a beast in form of a FAQ a long time ago but
never wrote it down nicely enough to be published.

Just a few comments:

> II. Information and Source Code
[...]
> The currently released version of KDE is 1.1.1.  KDE 1.1.2 will
> introduce theme support (which allows users to dramatically change the
> appearance of their desktops) and include bugfixes.

I am not too sure about the "theme support". Hi-colored icons are
planned for sure but the real Qt styles will appear in KDE 2.0 only.

> One should expect
> KDE 1.1.2 to be released in about 4-6 months.  KDE 2.0, which is,
> perhaps, the main focus of development right now, will include rewrites
> or major updates of kfm, khtmlw (an HTML widget), kpanel, kmail, maybe
> kwm, and much more.

Unicode support as well (at least I hope so).

> URLs
>
> Mailing lists
>
> The list kde-devel is for KDE developers in general.
> The koffice mailing list is for developers interested in koffice.

There is a kfm-devel and some multimedia list as well.

> To gain access to the KDE CVS respository (discussed below), send an
> email with an encrypted password to Stephen Kulow <coolo@kde.org>.
> To get your encrpyted password, do the following: On your system,
> change your account password with passwd to the password you would
> like to use for the CVS.  Copy and paste the encrypted password from
> the file /etc/passwd into the email that you send to coolo.  The line
> in /etc/passwd should look something like:
> dsweet:NHjGa4Fw4psGKo:500:500::/home/dsweet:/bin/tcsh
> The part you want to copy and paste is the "NHjGa4Fw4psGKo".  That's your \
> encrypted password.  Don't forget to change your password again with \
> passwd.

How about moving this part further down ? Snapshots and cvsup should be
mentioned and recommended first. I don't think that Stephan want's to
give out accounts for everyone who isn't serious about developing for
KDE yet.

There is a html page with further infos on www.kde.org. cvsup.html ?

> III. Compiling and Safe Development Practices (with configure)
[...]
> Now, make a directory called KDE/kde-HEAD.  This is where you'll store
> the compiled code from the HEAD branch -- as well as Qt 2.0!  Let's
> get Qt 2.0 (snapshots are available from
> ftp://ftp.troll.no/qt/snapshots.  Get the latest one.  Don't expect it
> to work without a little help, though.)  Put the sources in

Subscribe to snapshot-users as long Qt 2.0 is in beta phase.

Harri.