List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-05-16 11:17:46

> Arnt and I discussed a way where there would be a QMap for dirty entries,
> and then the QCache would be checked, and finally it would go out to disk
> for the data.  The cache would be "compacted" every thirty seconds to be
> 2/3 its current size.
>
> This scheme sounds pretty good.  As he pointed out, we have much more a
> case of "unused data being around in memory" than "used data being around
> in memory for every app that could be shared."  Most apps use almost NONE
> of the stuff in .kderc, so it could get kicked out of the cache really
> quickly.
>
> What do people think of this idea?

Sounds like you need one set of the data cached in memory (50k I guess) and
then a locking mechanism. Add to this a method to query the cache. The cache
would be freed when the last reference goes away.... hey! this is starting to
sound a lot like the ODBC Text File Driver design goals. <grin>.

Peter Harvey