List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-05-16 7:54:51

Am Sun, 16 May 1999 schrieb pbrown@redhat.com:
>On Sun, 16 May 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:
>
>> BTW: QCache uses a list to keep the items, so you get the same complexity
>> as iterating the file over and over.
>
>Arnt and I discussed a way where there would be a QMap for dirty entries,
>and then the QCache would be checked, and finally it would go out to disk
>for the data.  The cache would be "compacted" every thirty seconds to be
>2/3 its current size.
>
>This scheme sounds pretty good.  As he pointed out, we have much more a
>case of "unused data being around in memory" than "used data being around
>in memory for every app that could be shared."  Most apps use almost NONE
>of the stuff in .kderc, so it could get kicked out of the cache really
>quickly.
>
>What do people think of this idea?

IMO Steffan Hansen with his XProperty oder XRessource approach is right here.
Since the data from .kderc is pretty static and shared between all
applications, it's a waste to have it in application memory.

XRessources
*  are portable
* can be shared to remote computers

And application-KConfigs are no good too, a registry is a much better approach:
* consistent view, shared between all running applications
* no memory overhead.
* can still be based on textfiles
* few runtime impact, since config-file entries are used SO seldom.
* less noise (harddisk!) when starting kde applications.

Mario

--
Lizzie Borden took an axe,
And plunged it deep into the VAX;