List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-14 18:55:14

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>
> > Question: is there any copyright issue if we copy toolbar icons from other
> > applications? I have seen the same icons (eg. the floppy disk for "Save")
> > in many toolbars in many different applications.
> > Did they all pay license fees? Is it possible to copyright a small icon?
> > (like the ones appearing in toolbars)
>
> Please be very careful and do not copy ANY non open source artwork into
> kde applications.
>
> E.g.: The big number of win32 icons are freely availabe from M$ but ONLY
> for use on the Windows platform.

Besides that itīs also not a matter of getting *icons* but getting
icons that are *style-compliant*.
The new KDE-HiColor-icons will look different from GNOME icons which
look
different from Windowmaker-icons which look very different from
Winblows-
icons which look .....
So if you want KDE-toolbar-icons they have to be created
style-compliant!
(Well, who said I would not create toolbar-icons ... ? :-)
Otherwise it will look very unprofessional ...

Torsten