List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE & multithreading
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-14 1:20:00

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Ok, looks like most of you don't like the idea of using threads. Let me just
> ask few questions and I'll shut up.

I think most of us like the *idea* of using threads... it all comes down to
the fact that it is not yet totally portable!

> - Does the 'not widely available' argument also apply to KDE 2.0 ? I mean, I
> can hardly imagine machine with C++ compiler able to compile exceptions and
> such things( they will be needed for 2.0, won't they ? ) without having
> pthreads ( thats like Rolls-Royce with wooden seats inside :) ).

Compiling a new compiler is easily doable.  Recompiling base libs and X with
thread safety is not.

My current libc5 system, for instance, is definitely not thread safe.. yet I
use egcs 1.1.1.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth