List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-05-13 15:27:23

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> MS Word -- Yes, I learned to hate it!
> The worst thing for most beginners is to  find this ´special dialog´.
> I´m sure that most people won´t figure out themselves how to do this
> without help. Try it out! Ask some unexperienced person (mother,
> grandma,...
> to create an icon in the toolbar ... How many times did I tell
> people how to do it ...?
> so far Microsoft´s innovations ... so go forth and copy it *sigh*!

Torsten, please don't take this personally!

There are times when *common* things that already have icons may or may
not be in the toolbar. For example, should save/load/save as be?
Or cut/copy/paste? Or undo/redo?

I never put cut/copy/paste in the toolbar. Everyone knows the shortcut
anyway! but some people may like it there.

If there are not icons for some actions, then those actions simply can not
be put in the toolbar (or can be put with a user speciied icon that he has
to get from somewhere). This should not put another burden on you and the
other icon designers (and it would suck if it did!)

I see this as a way to get a more configurable toolbar, not as a way to
put anything there, or as a way to get 127 icons for each app :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)