List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: session management and huge amounts of data
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       1999-05-13 19:05:58

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> >This is about KDE 1.1.1 but I guess it's still valid in the 2.0 branch.
> >
> >If an application has to save a fairly large amount of data in
> >KTMW::saveProperties() and to read it again in
> >KTMW::readProperties() it takes ages.
> >
> >Load a 100KB document into kless (from kdesdk/kexample - kedit or
> >kwrite won't show the behaviour because they don't save the date
> >itself but the file name resp. URL only). If you log out from KDE
> >it takes several minutes to save the data. It isn't related to
> >storing the whole data into a QString; that's fast.
> >KConfig::writeEntry() takes all the time. Same for
> >KConfig::readEntry().
> >
> >It's very annoying and a user used to Windoze might think the box hangs.
> >Writing or reading 100K can't take that long. Any ideas how to speed
> >that up?
>
> Yes sure, it's a bug if application store huge amount of data in kconfig.
> Instead they should get a tmpfile name (KApplication supports this), store the
> data in the tmpfile and just save the filename in the kconfig object.

Well, kless is yours.  :-)))

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel: +264 - 061 - 244511
P.O.Box 30955                                    Fax: +264 - 061 - 244511
Windhoek                                         Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Republic of Namibia                                           uwe@kde.org
                                                       http://www.kde.org