List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde mp3 player
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-05-04 20:30:52

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 04:16:48PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:

Hi,

> What we really need is a KDE 2.0 that is multimedia-ready! And this DOES

btw, most apps in kdegames (last I checked) didn't have any sound, which
is a pity. Games without sound, be it wav, midi or whatever are only half
a game, IMHO. I'm looking forward to the new maudio2. Does it have an API
for playing midis and tracker-formats? That's the most common used formats
in games, AFAIK.

> IMO it's very strange today to have two midi apps in the kmultimedia-
> package but no mp3-player! It's obvious that mp3 is much more useful
> than midi for the average joe-user and that much more people use mp3 than
> midi (Nothing against the programmers of those nice apps -- but ...).

Midi-files are rather cool, if you have a decent wavetable soundcard. I
just wish, kmid supported loading of soundbanks into the soundcard's ram.
I agree tho, that an mp3-player in kdemultimedia would be _very_ handy for
aforementioned joe.

> who dreams of the first KDE-multimedia-encyclopedia based
> on a uniform API in KDE 2.0 ...

EnKarta? ;o)

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer