List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Desktop Entry Standard - Take 2
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-04 20:45:11

Thanks a lot for your excellent work, Preston !
We are definitely going somewhere with this.

Do we really want pre-1.0 compatibility ? Is KDE-1.1 compatible with
pre-1.0 ? Otherwise, there's no point in adding compatibility where we
already broke it.

Some other comments :

> TryExec         name of physical binary on disk.  Can be used   string          NO      NO
>                 to a) determine if the binary is actually
>                 present, and not display in menus if it isn't,
>                 and b) associate the desktop entry's icon with
>                 a physical binary.  Replaces BinaryPattern.
That would lost the ability to set the application icon for several files
as it has been pointed out here (example : netscape.sh)
Can't we have both TryExec and BinaryPattern ?

> %F - a single file name, even if multiple files are selected.
>      Implementations should probably spawn and execute multiple copies
>      of a program for each selected file if the program is not able to
>      handle multiple file arguments.
I'm not sure about this.
%F _means_ that the program can handle multiple file arguments.
Otherwise how can we know if it does or does not ?

> %s - this is currently supported by KDE, but we are not sure what it
>      does.  Please fill this in.
I could find no mention of %s in kbind.cpp (the central place for this in
1.1.x kfm)
So I don't think it's supported. Or ??

> If the standard is to be amended with a new {key,value} pair which
> should be applicable to all supporting parties, a group discussion
> will take place.  This is the preferred method for introducing
> changes.  If one particular party wishes to add a field for personal
> use, they should prefix the key with the string "X-PRODUCT",
> i.e. "X-NewDesktop-Foo", following the precedent set by other IETF and RFC
> standards.

Ah, good idea.
So my example would become

X-KDE-RepoID=IDL:Konqueror/Application:1.0,
X-KDE-ActivationMode=shared
X-KDE-ServiceType=FileManager

(I think the example could be added to section 6.)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org