List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde mp3 player
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-04 14:16:48

> Here I'll take another opportunity to voice something about KDE 2.0.  If
> you are going to be developing multimedia stuff for KDE 2.0 and beyond,
> *please* work with C. Esken and any other who are working on the kmedia
> project so that everything goes through a uniform API.  This was the
> original intent, and other than .wav playing, it has failed miserably in
> KDE 1.1.x.  C. Esken said that he has been working hard to rectify this
> situation (and I believe him) for our next generation of KDE.  So please
>  PLEASE all you .mp3 / .au / .wav / .mid people, as well as .qt and .mov
> and .avi people, TALK TO EACH OTHER.

YES, YES, YES! Pleeeeassseeee!

What we really need is a KDE 2.0 that is multimedia-ready! And this DOES
NOT mean that we have 4-5 different & optional mp3-players with different
Interfaces & API's.
IMO it's very strange today to have two midi apps in the kmultimedia-
package but no mp3-player! It's obvious that mp3 is much more useful
than midi for the average joe-user and that much more people use mp3 than
midi (Nothing against the programmers of those nice apps -- but ...).
And if you ask people for the word multimedia they immediately think of
movies, hmmm ....

the artist currently known as Torsten

who dreams of the first KDE-multimedia-encyclopedia based
on a uniform API in KDE 2.0 ...