List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-02 22:47:22

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> wrote:
>
> > As you see, this saver occupies ~6.5 megabytes of data when doing
> > nothing, the saver was activated ~3 times today. I will take a closer
> > look to the screensavers now.
>
> Well, why do the screensaves need to hang around in memory if they're
> not just about to show up? Even windows only starts screensaver when
> the timeout has expired and not before. Or is that already done in head
> branch?

Well at least with linux the memory occupied by the screensave does not
hurt at all as long as it is not active. The kernel simply throws away the
code pages which are currently not used if the need arises (no swapping or
paging!)

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@kde.org                                         //
Anybody who's comfortable using KDE should use it. Anyone who wants to
tell other people what they should be using can go to work for Microsoft.
KDE not only OpenSource[TM] but OpenMinded[TM].
KDE: A stable GUI for a reliable OS.