List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: standardizing desktop entry files
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-02 22:43:30

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 11:46:48PM +0200, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> David Faure <faure@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
> > Opinion ?
>
> It doesn't hurt replacing "[KDE Desktop Entry]" with "[Desktop Entry]"
> in head branch, does it? sure, it'll be some mess until every app uses
> the new format (perl might help a lot), but it would be a easy and
> clean solution without the need for adding new code, bloat libs and
> eventually break other code after putting so much effort in not doing
> so.

This would mean that existing KDE installations would be totally broken
when upgrading to KDE 2...
Because the personal apps and bindings in ~/.kde/share/applnk will still
use the old format.

So the usual question "will I lost my configuration", wouldn't be answered by no
as usual but by yes. Do we really want that ?

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org