List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kfm caches images but doesn't wipe them?
From:       Kari Lavikka <tuner () linux ! bdb ! fi>
Date:       1999-05-02 13:52:20

Hi,
I was reading Red Hat installation manual using KFM .. the one that
comes with rh 6.0. (seems to be 1.1pre2). When I was about to reach the
last page, linux started to swap like hell. top told me this:
  PID USER PRI NI  SIZE RSS SHARE STAT LIB %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
 4548 root  10  0 52252 13M  1092 S      0  0.0 22.3 5:28 X

I guess kfm fills X server with pixmaps but doesn't wipe them when they
aren't needed any more.

I closed all kfm windows but it didn't make any difference.

after 'killall kfm; kfm &' top said:
  PID USER PRI NI  SIZE RSS SHARE STAT LIB %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
 4548 root   9  0 15684 13M   872 S      0  0.7 21.4 5:28 X

This has happened several times before. Browsing some web and using KDE
several days without restaring has just about same effect.

   \\||//
   ( oo )    Kari Lavikka - tuner@bdb.fi