List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Forward declaration of template classes
From:       "Robert Hagemann" <rhagemann () psipenta ! com>
Date:       1999-04-29 13:58:17

Hi Waldo and all other,

<cite>
BList is not a class but a typedef.
You could probably define BList as:

class Blist : public QList<B>
{
  BList(...) : QList<B>(...) { }
}

(Instead of typedef BList Qlist<B>;)

That might be a bit more work though.
</cite>

Thanx for Your suggestion.

I don't know the implementation details of the Qt Collection classes,
but B. Stroustrup (inventor of C++) has described the rationale behind the
template mechanism in C++ and the philosopy that is behind the STL.
Conclusion is, *not* to inherit template classes, unless it's absolutely
inevitable (see his C++ Book).

Another idea, that has come to my mind:
I ommitted the detail, that class B is inheriting QFrame. So I could use
QList<QFrame> instead. I consider this bearable, because the list is a
private member and therefor the usage is restricted to my own class A.

Any comments on that?

Ciao,
Robert
.