List:       kde-devel
Subject:    CJK support in KDE (Re: [Fwd: please forward this mail to kde-devel])
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-29 10:10:31

>  1 main(...)
>  2 {
>  3    QApplication a(...);
>  4    QTextCodec *codec = QTextCodec::codecForLocale();
>  5    a.setDefaultCodec( codec );
>  6
>  7    ...
>  8
>  9    QString tt = codec->toUnicode("CJK characters");
> 10
> 11    ...
> 12 }
>
> It is good,I think,that 4 and 5 lines are included in either
> KApplication::init() or QApplication::QApplication(...).
> and QString::QString(...) is modified also to convert CJK characters
> into unicode correctly.
>
> I think it is good that QApplication::QApplication(...) contains
> setDefaultCodec() to setup a default codec. and QString::QString(...)
> uses codec->toUnicode() function. but a man working for troll said
> that it isn't good method. he said that people are using QString to
> deal with multimedia data like images. so inserting codec related functions
> to QString isn't good idea.
I don't understand this point.

> For testing purpose, I modified the kdelibs/kdecore/kapp.cpp and
> kdelibs/kdecore/klocale.cpp to use codec related functions. (I
> inserted setDefaultCodec() in KApplication::init() and modified
> KLocale::translate() to use codec->toUnicode().

This sounds ok.

> I attached modified klocale.cpp and kapp.cpp )
Never send whole files (big and unreadable). Use diff or cvs diff to send diffs.

> and I used a kedit's translated message
> file(kedit.mo). then I got a screen that Korean characters are appeared in
> menu well.  but I can't see Korean characters in file selection dialog
> because it doesn't use i18n().  If I change QString, It may work fine.
... or if you fix kfile to call codec->toUnicode(), right ?
ok, the problem will remain for any app displaying a filename (kfm, for
one).

> and I wonder if there is a team for CJK support or i18n.
No idea.
But none of us, western countries developers, can fix things like this.
We need a person (or a team) with CVS access, that would add support for it
(for instance like you suggest in this mail), but also that would maintain
it and test it as KDE evolves.
Volunteers ?

--
David FAURE