List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Call for opinions: KDE 2.0 mascot!
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-04-24 15:52:38

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Anthony Kimball wrote:

> In my opinion, this is a singularly BAD idea.  For thousands of years,
> in Western culture, the dragon has been a symbol of pure evil
> incarnate.  Tux, in contrast, does not represent evil incarnate.

The penguin is the messenger of the devil in the Mapuche culture. Ok, I
made that up ;-)

> Since you asked for postive comments, I suspect your sample will be
> skewed in favor of the proposed mascot.  Moreover, I also expect that
> a much larger share of the current KDE user base will approve of the
> proposed mascot, as compared to the potential future user base.  Thus,
> the use of this mascot can be expected to alienate the prospective
> user base.  Certainly the direct affiliation of KDE with evil would
> preclude my own upgrade to future versions.  As recent mass murders in
> the US have demonstrated, the use of evil symbolism is not a light
> matter, for it is a common precursor to evil action.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.