List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Call for votes: KDE 2.0 mascot!
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-04-23 22:35:48

Matthias Elter wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Anyway, I think he may be a bit too cute to be professional (better for a
> > kid's toy than a marketing thing -- I'm afraid it will be fodder for those
> > who say open source stuff is not serious, but is a plaything).
>
> Doesn't Tux, the Linux penguin look very cute, too.

Not as cute as the dragon, and I think for marketing purposes Tux is too cute
already.  In short, I don't think Tux is a great logo and would not use him for
comparisons.

> Does this imply Linux is unprofessional?

To some people, yes!  And subconsciously for many more people, yes!  Not to say
that these implications can't be overcome, but I think it is better not to have
them at all.

> A mascot needs to look cute..a logo on the other hand has to
> look clean and professional. The KDE logo does.

Which mascot is cute like that (meaning, in a stuffed-toy kind of way)?  I can't
think of any.  The closes I can come is the dog in the latest Taco Bell
commercials (perhaps not familiar to Europeans), but at least that is a real
dog, and plus that is for a restaurant, not for software.

Regards,

Andreas