List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About boxes
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () chaos ! umd ! edu>
Date:       1999-04-23 14:04:43

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Andreas Pour wrote:

[...]

>Well, the form is better than kmail, IMHO, b/c you can have fields in a form (must more user
>friendly to have fields); and not all mail clients support HTML forms (people get upset if
>you switch their mail client on them).  Of course you could come up with a fancy dialog to do
>this as well; I just thought a cgi script would be faster/easier.

I was picturing no form at all, but rather (like Kulow said before) launching a
kmail composer with some of the message prewritten.... anyway, the form sounds
better :)

>> Question:  What if the bug is in the app which is being used for submission?
>> Use mail maybe?
>
>You mean so the About button does not work?  Should be able to use the about box from other
>apps and just change the package/version info manually.
>
>Regards,
>
>Andreas Pour

No. What if you are using a form but kfm (your WWW browser) has a bug and cannot
properly submit the form?  Perhaps it's silly to worry about that...

So here's the plan:
	About box will have links to: (1) mail maintainer, (2) view app home
page, (3) sbumit bug report (cgi script),
	(at programmer's option) a "View License" button (w/GPL text
available locally),
	and (required!) text describing the function of the program.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Dave