List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: user friendliness - suggesting improvements
From:       "Geert Jansen" <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-04-17 14:02:36

-----Original Message-----
From: Rik Hemsley <rik@kde.org>
To: kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
<kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: 17 April 1999 15:55

>Harri Porten wrote:
>
>> One might argue that it has a negative effect on security. There are
>> other login screens out there that completely hide the password. Knowing
>> the length of someones password makes cracking it a LOT easier.
>
>I agree. However, it should be possible to make starring the password
>available.
>
>I use a widget that's just a QLineEdit with a QButton which is able to
>be toggled. I don't know whether it's better to have the button pushed
>(and therefore have stars) or not, as default.
>
>Whatever happens, I think this allows the user to remove the starring of
>the password when there's a chance someone's looking over their
>shoulder.

In KDE su I give the user an option to echo: no stars, one star or three
stars.
The three stars option in nice: if someone is looking over your shoulder it
is
hard to see how many characters the password is.

There's also a KPasswordEdit widget in there, in case you're interested.

Greetings,
Geert Jansen