List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: user friendliness - suggesting improvements
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-17 14:01:43

Harri Porten wrote:

> One might argue that it has a negative effect on security. There are
> other login screens out there that completely hide the password. Knowing
> the length of someones password makes cracking it a LOT easier.

I agree. However, it should be possible to make starring the password
available.

I use a widget that's just a QLineEdit with a QButton which is able to
be toggled. I don't know whether it's better to have the button pushed
(and therefore have stars) or not, as default.

Whatever happens, I think this allows the user to remove the starring of
the password when there's a chance someone's looking over their
shoulder.

Cheers,
Rik

--