List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (kab) strange compiling problem
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-04-11 12:11:06

David Sweet wrote:
>          2) It's _insane_ to ask people to recompile all of their libraries
>         (including libgcc, according to the egcs web page:
>          http://egcs.cygnus.com/onlinedocs/gcc_2.html#SEC7) to use KDE
>         for reasons of limited time, space, and permissions.
This is true.
As far as I know, the -fsquangle option is only a workaround. The real
problem is a bug in the binutils on some systems that cannot handle
large symbol names in object files.
These symbols are created when templates are nested. Usually it helps to
upgrade the binary utilities.
Greetings,
--Mirko (who wrote kab).
--