List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Always on top, Session management, and MacOS mode stuff
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () chromatic ! com>
Date:       1999-03-12 17:19:09

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:

> (3) In MacOS mode (titlebar on top) -

Also I'd kill for a Mac-style layer manager - basicly on the Mac windows from
the same app travel together - bring one of the forward in the window stack and
all the rest come forward with it as a layer - retaining their stacked order in
the process -  this makes toolbars work so much more easily and saves you from
losing things under other windows on busy desktops.

It also makes application specific modal dialogs work better the dialog stays
on top of the app's layer indicating that you need to pay attention to it
before you do anything else - but you can still switch to another app

Once you are used to this behaviour other window managers seem difficult to
use, you have to remember where everything is and what it might be behind

I suspect that X doesn't provide enough information to pull this off - but since
we were talking about MacOS stuff I thought I kick this one in

    Paul