List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-02-25 3:25:11

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Take netscape - it's huge, and I think it's the fact that most people use
> the statically-linked version that makes it load slowly - loads pretty fast
> when Motif libs are already in core.

On Linux perhaps, but I think the poor coding and just general bloat of
Communicator 4 contribute to its loading slowly.  IIRC the fbsd ld.so
mmaps whole libraries and the like, so you would still have the glacially
slow loading time, if you're linking in huge libraries..

> Actually maybe it's the resolving symbols in all the libraries that's taking
> the time, but whatever...
>
> Point is, I don't like the splash screen on aesthetic grounds and on
> technical grounds - I think it'll appear closer to the app being mapped than
> the app starting to load.

A splash screen shouldn't be that huge.. 640x480x8 at the _most_
(hopefully much smaller) so the bloat should be minimal.  It would be a
good indication that a program has been loaded...

I think that klyx is the only K app I've seen with a splash screen.

- alex