List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-24 16:53:52

Timothy Whitfield wrote:

> > Please, can anybody implement this marvellous feature as described
> > above, as soon as possible?
> > I fear, if nobody does it, other will come and the %*!& hourglass cursor
> > from M$-Windoze will hurt my eyes even on my KDE box!
>
> I am not trying to start anything, but it occurs to me that we make KDE
> so that we can have the power of unix under the windows interface.  I am
> a really anti-microsft person, but I think that refusing features just
> because microsoft thought of it first is wrong. They pay alot of people
> alot of money to think about it.  And for the most part, what they come up
> with is quickly accepted by users everywhere.

I agree with you up to a certain point.
YES, something is not bad BECAUSE it is used by Windows.

BUT something is not GOOD either BECAUSE it is used by Windows.

Let's try to think about the things we do and leave microsoft out of it.

To get on topic again: I think the hourglass as cursor is a bad idea.
Not because it is used by windows, but because it sends out the wrong
message ("I am busy, you can't do anything"). I explained in a previous
mail that this message was correct in windows 3.1 days. Windows has kept
this behaviour for reasons of his own (i think, I never use it). In KDE
this message is wrong.

Cheers,
Waldo