List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () chromatic ! com>
Date:       1999-02-23 19:40:12

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Patrick D. Dowler wrote:
>>We need immediate feedback when an application is launched. I agree.
>
>On a similar note, swallowed apps in the panel get sunk when you click
>on them, but docked apps do not. Thus you cannot, for example, tell
>if you have actually clicked on your kbiff to launch kmail.

good point - some apps put popups on docked icons (for example
kbiff does it for one button and runs kmail for the other) - since it's
up to the app to decide to pop up a menu or to act as a button it should
be the app's job to do the button animation for the icon - is there a standard
way to do this? (maybe it should be part of the library) who's job wpuld
it be to hilite the button when the mouse moves over it (kpanel?)

While we're talking consistancy how come we can pop up a menu for
docked apps and not for swallowed ones (yeah you and I know why
one has an app running behind it, the other is a place holder for a .kdelnk)
from a naive user's point of view there's these little icons down there that
do things when you push them - why are some different? (esp. with
the panel in'tiny' mode they're not noticably different)

So as a suggestion for how to make things more consistent - how about some
.kdelnk fields like:

	MenuTitle0:   New
	MenuExec0:  kwidget --new
	MenuTitle1: -				(means a seperator)
	MenuTitle2:  Run
	MenuExec2: kwidget --run
	etc

The existance of MenuTitle*/MenuExec* pairs in a swallowed .kdelnk
mean that a mouse down on that kdelnk pops up a menu rather than acts as
a button.

In the further interests of consistancy KFM does the same thing ... hey
presto menus in the file system .... (wait am I going to far .... down this road
we toss the panel completely and just use kfm ....)

    Paul