List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       Hans Meine <hansmeine () dial-net ! de>
Date:       1999-02-15 19:49:58

Hi!

I want to lose another word concerning the original idea of a central program
managing internet connection modes. I thought about this very often in the last
time because of different reasons:
- I talked about on-/offline detection with Herwin Jan Steehouwer, the
  developer of kxicq. I think if you like ICQ and/or want to use it, you have
  to connect/disconnect to/from the ISP and to/from mirabilis' ICQ-server at the
  same times, that can be quite annoying if you often forget things - like me.
  ;-)
- Such things should not be done by kppp/your dialer, because others might want
  to use kisdn (though I now know it could also be done with kppp and virtual
  ISDN devices - thanks to Mario!) or similar. Or even be online all the time.
  Or never, as discussed.
- My father (see him as an experienced user) has another big wish: He often
  forgets to disconnect from the internet from his home box and asked me for a
  program which displays his connection status in a non-disturbing, always-
  visible, easy-to-check way. This would be ANOTHER GREAT FEATURE
  implementable in such a prog.
  (We thought about: flashing widgets/titlebars, animations in the panel,
  changed desktop background, frequent sounds and much more and came to the
  conclusion that most of it was probably totally unusable/annoying to many
  users. Just a brainstorm :-)) )
BTW: kisdn has really too small status lights in the docked icon for old men
like my dad! ;-))

--

Ciao,
   /  /

Hans Meine                                mail me: hans_meine@gmx.net
Harkortstr. 138                       http://www.dialnet.de/hansmeine
D-22765 Hamburg                              ICQ: RastaJoe <28674493>
[Germany]                                     Phone: ++49-40-38612523