List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Fwd: suggestions
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-02-15 19:32:01

Subject: Icelandic translations, update
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:14:36 +0000
From: "Bjarni R. Einarsson" <bre@netverjar.is>

Hi again,

Included is an update of the Icelandic kdelnk .po file.

<grumble>

Some clever chaps decided to fix typos the day before 1.1 was released,
making things quite fuzzy in some places, thus corrupting our translation
right before the 1.1 release.  We didn't manage to react in time.

This was really disappointing... :-/

For this reason I'd like to suggest a *complete* C-language level freeze of
*everything* at least 24 hours before the next actual release, so ambitions
translators have time to respond to any last minute changes to the .po
files.

In fact, a translators-only prerelease would be very nice so we can see what
the finished product will look like and fix easily avoidable problems.  It's
incredibly frustrating to see completely avoidable language-problems with
the released version of KDE, which were caused by the basic code-level
strings changing a few hours before the release.

Judging from the time it's taking to get binary packages released, such a
minor delay wouldn't have slowed things down noticably...

Also, it'd be *really* nice if next time someone sent a reminder to
kde-i18n-list, something like: "release in 12 hours, commit changes NOW!".
This would wake people up who'd grown weary of constantly preparing for an
"imminent" release (I was on edge in the middle of December - it wore off).

If you agree with me, please pass my comments on to those making the
decisions (Kulow?).  I don't want to sound like a cry-baby or belittle the
incredible work done by the organizers (which I know isn't easy), but these
problems are so easily avoidable...

</grumble>

Take care! :-)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson                    [ PGP: 02764305 / B7A3AB89 ]
 bre@netverjar.is -=- http://www.mmedia.is/~bre/ -=- Juggler@IRCnet

* http://www.europarl.eu.int/dg4/stoa/en/publi/166499/execsum.htm *
  Encrypt the covert narcotics, launder nuclear biotechno cash on
  the way to Swiss with your GSM phone - are you paranoid enough?

--
Matthias Elter <me@main-echo.net>
Computer science student university of Wuerzburg/Germany