List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       "Patrick D. Dowler" <dowler () pt1B1106 ! FSH ! UVic ! CA>
Date:       1999-02-14 19:17:15

Just responding to my own post with a general point :-)

>I think gui admin of system stuff like networking, users, hardware
>devices, daemons, servers, etc. would be great but it is a much
>more complicated thing than just adding some more dialogs to
>kcontrol... personally, I think a whole new program is needed and
>kcontrol should contain just "per-user" configuration (ie. stuff that
>belongs in ~/.kde only).
>
>I also don't think it is desirable (maybe not possible) to write a
>sys admin tool that is cross-platform and useful (maybe even
>cross-linux distribution is pretty hard, having used both slackware
>and redhat :-)

It would be a BIG mistake for core KDE components to lose
the current (pretty good) cross-platform capabilities. As such,
sys admin tools should not be part of the KDE (the desktop).
There could be KDE-aware or KDE-enhanced or KDE-whatever
sys admin tools, but I think they should be kept separate (in the
source code at least). Those who make binary packages for specific
systems can include the appropriate tools as they see fit.

There are a few things which are system tools but are also more
or less platform independent (kdm, for example). That could be a
special case.

--

Patrick Dowler
Victoria, BC