List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       "Patrick D. Dowler" <dowler () pt1B1106 ! FSH ! UVic ! CA>
Date:       1999-02-14 19:03:15

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Christoph Neerfeld wrote:
>On 14-Feb-99 Patrick D. Dowler wrote:
>>
>> There has been recently a plethora of sys admin tools hacks* added
>> to KDE that I think need to be thought out more clearly. They seem
>> like good ideas to people with their linux of FreeBSD box at home, or
>> even with their own box on an academic or work network, where the user
>> is also the admin, but the distinction between user space and root/system
>> space is what makes unices work. If you blend these too much, you
>> end up in an M$ kind of nightmare :-)
>Maybe one should set the permissions of such programs to rwxr-xr--
>and check in kpanel and kcontrol if the user can execute these programs
>and don't display them if the user has no permissions.

This doesn't help with the K->Settings menu unless (1) kpanel actually
checks the permissions of the program referenced in the exec= line,
which means kpanel has to parse kdelnks, or (2) they do not appear
in that menu at all.

I think gui admin of system stuff like networking, users, hardware
devices, daemons, servers, etc. would be great but it is a much
more complicated thing than just adding some more dialogs to
kcontrol... personally, I think a whole new program is needed and
kcontrol should contain just "per-user" configuration (ie. stuff that
belongs in ~/.kde only).

I also don't think it is desirable (maybe not possible) to write a
sys admin tool that is cross-platform and useful (maybe even
cross-linux distribution is pretty hard, having used both slackware
and redhat :-)

--

Patrick Dowler
Victoria, BC