List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KGet imported to the CVS
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-02-14 11:06:29

On So, 13 feb 1999, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Adding an option for KGet to the popup menu implies that kfm also contains
>code to copy files from ftp. Is that necessary? Or are you just worried about
>the interface presented to the user (since kioslave? is doing the copy work?).
>If it's just the interface then the user would probably always want the KGet
>control. If they don't want KGet interface then they probably always don't
>want it. Why the selection for each download?

Imagine copying files in a mc way. Having two windows side by side and pressing
F5 to copy.
I am sure that not everybody would like to have the transfer registered in kget.

Actually I think that this could be configurable. There would be an option to
automatically register all ftp and http transfers in kget ( e.g. when you press
F5 to do copying, or maybe two diferrent key bindings ? )

I would take this idea even further.
I like my little child ( kget ) really very much, but why should be user
limited to use only this ?
Why not make it configurable in such a way, that user can set the program for
handling copy requests ?
I want to corbify kget, so that kfm can call it directly. If we define a
standard interface for this copy call, other developers could create their own
download managers which follow this interface and thus allow kfm to call
also them.
All this is only to allow a bigger choice for user.

 >Whatever, the important thing is that kfm can use KGet directly, which I
agreed >with totally.

><cite> Any sane person will always use KGet  from kfm :-) </cite>
>
>Good job, Matt. Keep at it.

I am trying :-)

Regards

		Matt