List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Files in use ...
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1999-02-05 20:23:09

Hi,

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Matt Koss wrote:

> On Pi, 05 feb 1999, weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> >Hi,

> I have already implemented this. So far it works like this :
> When starting saving some file to local disk, slave adds extension .part
> When slave is done, it removes extension.
>
> My original idea was to keep the extension also after any type of connection
> error - anytime when slave is done, but the file is not fully downloaded.

That is ok for me. But do only keep the partial download if it is
at least >10k. Many donwloads stop for me after 5K because the server
does not deliver more data. I think it is worthless to keep such little
partial files on the disk.

> However, for this I will have to do some more work. Slave has to check for file
> sizes.
>
> What's your opininion on this ? What should be the intended behaviour ?
> Keep the extension also after any type of error, or not ?

Not after ANY type of error. Only when
a) The user said "stop, but later I will continue
b) A network error occured.

In all other cases delete the partial file.
At least that is my current opinion.

> I will implement this anyway, but should I do it in kioslave, or only in kget,
> which uses kioslave ?

kioslave please :-)

> >> But there are two problems with this:
> >> 1. When netscape (and many others, including many ftps) download files, they
> >> down't use .part.
> >> 2. If possible, it should display a different icon for .tgz.part files,
> >> .ps.part files, etc... Can this be done with one mime type, or do all of the
> >> mime types need to be duplicated?
> >>

> >One could hack libkio to strip off ".part" before it looks at the file
> >extension.
>
> Yes, this could be done very easily. ASAP the kfm starts to be more usable, I
> will implement it.
>
> BTW, kfmIII is really fast, I like it Torben !

Thanks :-)

I was thinking about making it even faster. The idea was to show the
files ASAP and AFTER this I check for mime-types and on demand I just
change the icon. At least that is what windows is doing.

What do you think ?

Bye
torben