List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Files in use ...
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-02-05 19:46:48

On Pi, 05 feb 1999, weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:
>
>> Matt Koss wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to implement this the way some download managers are doing.
>> > I have already started some work on this.
>> >
>> > These managers add to all currently downloaded files another extension, like
>> > ..part for example ( partial download )
>> > This way you know, that file has not been yet fully downloaded.
>> > After that it will put this extension away.

I have already implemented this. So far it works like this :
When starting saving some file to local disk, slave adds extension .part
When slave is done, it removes extension.

My original idea was to keep the extension also after any type of connection
error - anytime when slave is done, but the file is not fully downloaded.

However, for this I will have to do some more work. Slave has to check for file
sizes.

What's your opininion on this ? What should be the intended behaviour ?
Keep the extension also after any type of error, or not ?

I will implement this anyway, but should I do it in kioslave, or only in kget,
which uses kioslave ?

>> > We could easily use new mime-type for .part files ( with a new icon etc. )
>> But there are two problems with this:
>> 1. When netscape (and many others, including many ftps) download files, they
>> down't use .part.
>> 2. If possible, it should display a different icon for .tgz.part files,
>> .ps.part files, etc... Can this be done with one mime type, or do all of the
>> mime types need to be duplicated?
>>

>One could hack libkio to strip off ".part" before it looks at the file
>extension.

Yes, this could be done very easily. ASAP the kfm starts to be more usable, I
will implement it.

BTW, kfmIII is really fast, I like it Torben !

Kind regards

		Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk