List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: kdm serious bug] (fwd)
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-02-01 11:00:37

My guess was wrong, I guess...

Carsten Pfeiffer
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:26:10 -0200
From: Bruno Lustosa <blp@bigboss.urbi.com.br>
To: Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih@sp.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: kdm serious bug]

According to Carsten Pfeiffer:
> I heard about such problems when some applications didn't terminate
> properly. When not using kdm, you had to press Ctrl-C after shutting down
> KDE, but with kdm, that's not possible and caused the hanging.
> So it might be interesting to know what programs were running and what
> program doesn't terminate.

Well, I tried to run KDE just by calling startx. KDE loaded ok. THen, I shut
it down. No ctrl-c needed. `ps ax' showed no KDE or X processes running (so,
it killed all processes cleanly).
Tried to do the same thing running kdm. Logged in, and then just shut down. It
hangs!
Maybe (look, I'm not a programmer, it's just a guess) it's something with the
code itself, because even if it was 'waiting for a ctrl-c', and the machine
didn't respond to the user, it should at least respond to pings, since it's
the kernel itself who responds. Is it possible?

--

 __,  ,_   o        __    | email: grixo@urbi.com.br
/  | /  |  |  /\/  /  \_  | you can find me as grixo @ ircnet

... J. Kennedy security system was controlled by Windows