List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: audio zombies
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-01-31 21:40:51

On Son, 31 Jan 1999 uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Harri Porten wrote:
>
>> uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
>> >
>> > Is that bad? Well, not really. Zombies occupy a very small amount of
>> > memory and - of course - an entry in the process list. That's all. At
>> > most they are unesthetical. I think we can live with that.
>>
>> Unless every application handles its childs that negligent and the table
>> runs out of entries. kwm is sort of innocent in this situation, of
>> course. It wouldn't hurt to catch their exit status or ignore them with
>> SIG_IGN (correct ? I think I read somewhere that this avoids zombies on
>> some systems).
>
>SIG_IGN wouldn't help. Anyway, for 'normal' KDE apps KApplications
>catches the signal and fetches the exit status. And for applications which
>use KProcess for launching children KProcess will do all the dirty and
>nasty work regarding signals and children. I would really advise to
>use KProcess.

Which we can only use, when we are a KDE porgram. Well, the audio server
is not really a KDE program. So I did my best, but I am not sure what I can
do against the exec'ing of kwm. I wouldn't even be sure, KProcess
handles this case right, until proven.

BTW: kaudioserver only dies when there is no sound hardware
available or some fatal error occurs. Its much more important that
kaudioserver always closes down when X11 goes down - and
this was a semi-impossible task if you ask me.

In short: Send me a patch that runs on all conditions (e.g. started
by kdm, started via shell and so on).

You are advised to read my comments on this in kaudioserver.cpp
before you try (BTW: X11 is stupid!)

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone