List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: need better name for kdm configuration menu item
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1998-12-30 23:32:53

Steffen Hansen wrote:

[ ... ]

> BTW: Config modules like the one for kdm that require root rights too
> access open an error dialog saying "You do not have access to...".
> Then the right hand half of the kcontrol window is left blank. Why is the
> error msg. not just shown in the blank space instead?

I think a much better policy for config modules (or in fact any program) that
requires super user rights is to open the dialog/module/program anyway, showing the
current values but graying them out to indicate they can't be changed (in the
customary way for values that can't be changed or that don't apply), and adding a
message that only the super user can change the values.  This way the user can at
least browse the current settings using a GUI rather than having to use an editor
(which also requires the user knowing where that file is).   IMHO only in the few
cases that the user is not even allowed to read the file (like /etc/shadow) should a
dialog tell a user he/she does not have access rights.

Regards,

Andreas Pour
pour@mieterra.com