List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDevelop v.0.2
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-12-05 0:01:17

Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:
> uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
> > > One doubt, though... could the kdevelop guys talk to the shaman guys, and
> > > both of you talk with the kwrite guy?
> >
> > And then please all of you talk to the KodeKnight guys.
>
> And then talk to the KBuilder guys, and so on...
> It should be much easier to somehow combine these projects (taking the best
> parts from each one) while they are still (relatively) small and alpha, so
> the sooner - the better.

Y'know, I can see *why* it's attractive to say "everybody should combine
all their apps into one killer app"... but I also don't see it happening
anytime soon.  Think about it this way: These apps didn't start at the
same time.  Some started before others... yet the latter projects started
ANYWAY.  Why?  If the authors of all of the development tools really
wanted to combine their efforts, they could have:

a) joined on to an existing project
or
b) start a new project but use some code from an existing project (which
   they legally can if GPLed)

but most didn't.

I think all the different projects exist because the author's think they
can do it better than what others are doing.

There is a lot of ego and pride involved in open source apps... too many
people would rather do it "right" rather than work with others (and I'm
not necessarily saying that that is a bad thing).

All that said, as an official Shaman rep, I have sent email to the
KDevelop crew asking if they would be interested in using the Shaman
system as their app-generation system.  I would be surprised if they
said yes, though :-)
--
Kurt Granroth
granroth@kde.org