List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDevelop v.0.2
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       1998-12-04 10:50:13

Montreal Fri Dec  4 05:46:50 1998

Kurt Granroth <granroth@kde.org> wrote:
> 1) You are forced to use their editor.  It would be nice to have a user-
>    settable hook for the editor.  For instance, I like using vim for my
> 	coding... lots of others like emacs.  It would be nice to have a
> 	setting where you could enter something like 'editor=gvim +@LINE@'

Is this an option or does Qt have to be changed for this?

From: http://editorials.freshmeat.net/jim981031/

      Modularity

      We should also exploit one of X's strengths, insufficiently
      exploited in most existing toolkits: the ability to embed an
      application in a subwindow should be routinely exploited, rather
      than just by window managers. Any simple text window ought to be
      able to be my favorite text editor, not yet again a different
      editor with different bindings that I don't like or
      know. Software should be designed to be modular; I should be
      able to embed almost any application into my application.

      The sooner toolkits allow me to embed my tool into an
      application easily, the sooner I can have my editor (or other
      tool) where I want it, rather than the silly braindead one that
      isn't what I want, or need, or know how to use. And a single
      instance of an tool may be able to handle many applications
      simultaneously, rather than consume lots of system
      resources. Conversely, as an application developer, it means
      having to write less code to build my application.

      This is the only way to avoid huge, bloat-ware applications in
      which, for example, I face a different text editor for each
      application. And it means I should be able to use my new
      favorite tool in the old application.