List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Removing symlinks from kdisknav directory
From:       Pietro Iglio <iglio () fub ! it>
Date:       1998-11-12 8:53:47

The current (CVS) version of kdisknav uses symlinks to determine filesystem
entry points in the Global/Local menus. Unfortunately, having symlinks, for
instance, to the root ("/") under $KDEDIR and $HOME/.kde can be annoying.
In this case, in fact, if you try to make a recursive copy of the KDE dir
and you don't use the -d option (at least under linux) you get a copy of
the whole filesystem.

For this reason I have changed my local copy of kdisknav to use .kdelnk file
in place of symlinks.

Before updating the CVS tree, I would like to discuss the following issues:

- Editing a .kdelnk file with KFM:  if I change the value of the "Name"
  property, the name of the .kdelnk file is changed. I don't like this
  behaviour, because I can change the Name property with a text editor
  (w/out changing the file name), breaking this correspondence.
  It is hard to keep the file name in sync with the Name property.

- When I drop a file on a KFM folder, it would be useful having, along
  with Copy/Move/Link, a fourth option "KDE Link" that creates a .kdelnk
  file referring to the dragged object. I see the following advantages:
    - users can create kdelnk files on the desktop in place of symlinks,
      avoiding the problem of recursive symlinks;
    - since at this point both KDiskNav and KMenu are using kdelnk files,
      menus entries could be quickly added with drag&drog, w/out using
      external programs such as kmenuedit. To further simplify this task,
      KDiskNav and KMenu could run kfm clients with an option that
      makes "create KDE Link" the default choice when a file is dropped on
that
      kfm window (without showing the "Copy/Move/Link/KDE Link" menu).

What do you think?

Greetings,

-- Pietro Iglio