List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpanel
From:       Pietro Iglio <iglio () fub ! it>
Date:       1998-11-12 8:50:19

At 19.04 10/11/98 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>Pietro Iglio wrote:
>>
>> At 09.24 10/11/98 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> >Hi!
>> >
>> >Today I tried to copy my kde dir around and had to find out
>> >that someone put a symlink to / in it. I think, this is a
>> >very, very bad idea.
>> >
>> >Can't kdisknav simulate those symlinks instead of really
>> >setting them? I must say, I _hate_ recursive symlinks.
>>
>> The advantage of using symlinks for kdisknav is that users can add
entries to
>> the kdisknav menu with simple drag&drop operations, without the need of
using
>> something like the KPanel menu editor. I argue that dragging stuff on a KFM
>> window (as the one the is shown to edit kdisknav menu entries) is easier
than
>> learning to use a menu editor. The drawback is that you must use "cp"
with the
>> -d option to copy symlinks as symlinks (as I wrote in the kdisknav doc).
>>
>> I understand your problem with symlinks, however. I'm thinking about an
>> alternative
>> solution.
>
>Which of the following options do you mean with -d?
>
>Usage: cp [-f] [-i] [-p] f1 f2
>       cp [-f] [-i] [-p] f1 ... fn d1
>       cp -r|R [-f] [-i] [-p] d1 ... dn-1 dn

Under Linux you can call "cp" with the -d (= --no-dereference) option.
Here is what man says:

-d, --no-dereference
              Copy symbolic links as symbolic links  rather  than
              copying  the files that they point to, and preserve
              hard link relationships between source files in the
              copies.

May be that other unices do not provide a similar option.

However, I have worked on this problem. I have a local copy of kdisknav that
uses .kdelnk files rather than symbolic links. Please read my next message.

Greetings,

-- Pietro Iglio