List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Compound file" library?
From:       Frugal <chrisw () redac ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-11-04 8:55:22

Russ Steffen wrote:

> I hate to say it, but that almost sounds like the IFF format that the
> Amiga used to use. General purpose segmented file, each segment identified
> by a tag, and standard sets of tags were defined for common data. (So
> an image had a set of 4 or 5 data chunks that were required, sounds
> had another set of 3 or 4, etc.).

IFF can be used for any resource type. The original version of MAWC
which was written as a university project used IFF to store the widget
hierarchy in a tree format. You could even load in sub trees by just
skipping to an indexed point in the file.

The specification is also publicly available (although I do not have a
pointer to it).

--
Frugal                       + The two secrets to success:
                             +   1- Don't tell anyone everything.