List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Compound file" library?
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! ou ! dk>
Date:       1998-11-03 19:29:59

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Andreas Pour wrote:

> Steffen Hansen wrote:

> > > Pending I find a library that can handle this format. I have been looking
> > > on the net but have not found anything yet.
> >
> > The best i could find was http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/. It's not a
> > callable library, but maybe we could build one. Does anyone have time to
> > read the license and tell me if it can be used?
>
> The relevant part says:
>
>        Copyright (C) 1990-1997  Mark  Adler,  Richard  B.  Wales,
>        Jean-loup  Gailly,  Onno  van  der Linden, Kai Uwe Rommel,
>        Igor Mandrichenko, John Bush and Paul Kienitz.  Permission
>        is  granted to any individual or institution to use, copy,
>        or redistribute this software so long as all of the origi-
>        nal  files  are  included, that it is not sold for profit,
>        and that this copyright notice is retained.
>
> Ergo, you must ask for permission to modify.

It's not worth the trouble. Infozip is not the "libzip" i hoped to find.
It _can_ be compiled as a shared lib, but the interface sucks (it's little
more than "UzpMain( int argc, char** argv)") The code itself is one big
ugly multiplatform #ifdef monster -- I wont touch it.

How come there isn't an easy to use zip library installed on every Unix?

greetings,