List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Compound file" library?
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! ou ! dk>
Date:       1998-11-03 18:01:29

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> > I vote for the 'zip' suggestion previously made on the list.
>
> Pending I find a library that can handle this format. I have been looking
> on the net but have not found anything yet.

The best i could find was http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/. It's not a
callable library, but maybe we could build one. Does anyone have time to
read the license and tell me if it can be used?

If all fails, maybe the zip specs are available somewhere, so that we can
make a simple class for reading uncompressed zip.

> > Is gzip like zip ? (can it be non-compressed ?)
>
> Yep.

The compression methods might be the same, but gzip is just a
compression util, and zip is an archiver (with compression).

greetings,