List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Upcoming KDE-1.1 Release
From:       bastian <bastian () mauimail ! com>
Date:       1998-10-27 15:32:05

Hi All,

I'am not very familiair with the "Standard Release Schedule" but I would like
to announce some upcoming changes for KHTMLW.

I hope to commit before the end of this week some changes to KHTMLW which
make the HTML parser more HTML-compliant. Also included will be some
bug-fixes which will break binary compatibility.

The following (required) feature will be implemented:

White-space immediately following a start-Tag (e.g. <Tag>) will be ignored.
White-space immediately preceding an end-tag (e.g. </Tag>) will be ignored.

This means that "Hello <B>World</B>" and "Hello <B> World </B>" will become
equivalent. The hard-part is always the <PRE> tag. The parsing of the pre-tag
will be as follows, if you think this is not according to the HTML-spec,
please let me know ASAP.

One, and only one, space or linefeed will be removed if it follows the <PRE>
tag or if it preceeds the </PRE> tag.

"<PRE>
Test
</PRE>"
will be equivalent to
"<PRE>Test</Test>"
which will be equivalent to
"<PRE> Test </Test>"
which will be rendered as "Test"

"<PRE>
 Test
</PRE>"
will be equivalent to
"<PRE>  Test  </PRE>"
which will be rendered as " Test "

KDE applications which generate HTML and use KHTMLW to display the results
may be affected by this change. I would like to ask the authors of said
programs to
verify the rendering of this HTML-code after the changes to KHTMLW have been
committed. (I know of Kdehelp and Kmail, are their any others?)

Flames, bug-reports and good-advice are all welcome at bastian@kde.org.

Cheers,
Waldo
--