List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K Development Environment
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1998-10-13 3:23:42

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 06:22:59PM +0200, Pietro Iglio wrote:
> > I agree. In my opinion after the next KDE release we should discuss on this
> > mailing list a new design for the KDE-developers web site.  KDE is growing
> > every day and the mailing list is too busy.  For instance, if a developer
> > starts writing a new application, he/she *must* announce it on an
> > appropriate web page (for instance sending email to a particular address).
>
> That "must" is a bit problematic.  The vast majority of KDE developers
> write their apps for themselves and if it is widely useful, great!  I know
> that I started kbiff months back knowing full well that there were other
> KDE biff apps...
>
> Still, it might be nice to have a "KDE Certified" program...

Well, consult with a lawyer first, please, you can get into a heap of problems (it
sounds kind of like a warranty, I would hate to check every country in which KDE is
distributed for the legal ramifications of such a "certification").  Of course, you
could try to follow the certification with a statement that it means nothing, but
that would be pointless and perhaps ineffective in a consumer-friendly country.

Perhaps a better idea is a "KDE Development Bulletin Board" where developers are
encouraged to post their progress to avoid duplication of effort.

> > Also, it would be nice having pages that summarize the status of all KDE areas
> > (eg. kfm, kpanel, system administration tools, security, documentation, etc.),
> > may be organized in a slashdot.org-style.
>
> Yes, this would be nice!

I repeat my last sentence, I have often looked for this when I have been toying
with various projects.

> --
> Kurt Granroth
> granroth@kde.org